Let me explain how I learned the math.  More than twenty years ago I started
out with  Waugh's book and I could make a vertical declining dial
graphically:  Draw AB, draw CD perpendicular to AB etc. but I could not
calculate one mathematically.  Where's the log sin on the calculator?  ;-)

   I started reading the late Noel C Ta'Bois's monthly article called THE
SUNDIAL PAGE in CLOCKS magazine which is published in England.  He gave a
step by step approach using the scientific calculator.  Simply omit "log"
wherever it appears and substitute "multiply" or "divide" for "plus" or
"minus."  He used a step by step approach using formulas and told what keys
to press to make a sundial from start to finish.

   This step by step approach in solving formulas is what I find missing in
most sundial instructions.  The actual steps and what keys to press and in
what order is missing.  The understanding will come later.  Most new people
just want to make a sundial, and they give up when they see the formulas and
no instructions on how to solve the  formulas.  In a hobby that uses so many
formulas, what is needed are the instructions to solve the formulae so we all
get the same answer.  The math can be complicated but if you know the steps
to follow, a new person may not be so quick to give up on a great hobby to
learn.

Ken Clark
Elizabethtown, PA