Mike Cowham wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>         I have a vertical east declining sundial that I believe was once
> fixed to a church building.  Its gnomon is missing.
>         What I wish to calculate is the latitude of the dial, and its
> declination.  I am sure that it is a very easy problem to solve, but so
> far I have failed.
>         When I have this information, I hope to be able to locate its
> original site, (I already have a rough idea of the area of England), and
> maybe find some evidence of where it was fixed to the building.
>         The only real clue to its location is given by the angles made
> by its hour lines - assuming them to be accurate.
>         Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.
>         Regards,
>         Mike Cowham.
>         Cambridge, England.

Dear Mike,

Here I give just a number of formulae by which the latitude phi and the
declination d of a vertical sundial can be calculated, assuming the
pattern is well drawn.

Measure the angles of the following 2 hourlines :
- for east decliner : hour 6 and 9
- for west decliner : hour 18 and 15
Name these angles t45 and t90 and use positive signs for the angles.

Calculate :
P = cot(t45) - cot(t90)
Q = cot(t90)

X = P*P
Y = Q*Q

a = Y
b = X + Y - 1
c= -1

Z = (-b + sqrt(b.b - 4.a.c)) / (2.a)
or
Z = (-b - sqrt(b.b - 4.a.c)) / (2.a)
Take the positive answer for Z

Then
phi = atn(1/sqrt(Z))

d = asin(Q/tan(phi))

( sqrt is square root out of... )

Example :
t45 = 29 degrees
t90 = 68.78 degrees
X = 2.0044
Y = 0,1508
a = 0,1508
b = 1.1552
c = -1 ( of course )
Z = 0,7852
phi = 48.4552 degrees
d = 20.1244 degrees ( east or west )

I hope I didn't make any typing error.
Otherwise have a look in bulletin of De Zonnewijzerkring, 88.3, page 31.

Best wishes, Fer.

--
Fer J. de Vries
[EMAIL PROTECTED]