I calculate the Equation of Time as:

Sun's Mean Longitude - Sun's Apparent Right Ascension.

This is equivalent to:

Right Ascension of the Fictitious Mean Sun - Right Ascension of the Sun

(which is the definition of the Equation of Time) even though the Sun's mean
longitude is measured on the ecliptic because the fictitious mean sun used
to define civil time keeping is defined is such a way that its mean right
ascension is always equal to the Sun's mean longitude.

It has never been totally clear to me whether it is more accurate to use the
Sun's mean right ascension or the apparent right ascension in calculating
the equation of time.  In the Electric Astrolabe, I used the Sun's apparent
right ascension (calculated using VSOP87 corrected for light time and the
true nutation of date and optionally corrected for dynamical time).  This
calculation might more correctly be called the 'apparent equation of time'.
I don't think it makes much difference.

I suspect the reason that the Dialist Companion gives a value for when the
Equation of Time is 0 that is quite a bit different than Luke and I got is
because it uses a series expansion for the calculation.  Perhaps someone
involved in Dialist Companion can tell us.  The general series expansion
gives a pretty good value, but is not accurate, in the astronomical sense,
for any specific day or year (but is good enough for sundials).  The US
Naval Observatory used to publish the series expansion for calculating EQT
for a given year, but I don't know if they still do.

Best regards,

Jim

James E. Morrison
Astrolabe web pages at: http://myhouse.com/mc/planet/astrodir/astrolab.htm