http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/pages/sundial.html

This web site has many photomicrographs of images found on various
chips.  This particular one is a sundial, located, appropriately
enough, in the clock circuitry.

        This beautiful rendition of an ancient sundial was discovered
        near the clock circuitry on the Hewlett-Packard PA-7300LC
        microprocessor that bore the in-house nickname of
        "VelociRaptor" and also contains this dinosaur creature on
        another part of the chip.  HP manager Rick Butler has informed
        us that the writing beneath the dial says "VR FP 1995", which
        stands for VelociRaptor Floating Point.  We are also told that
        the sundial was partially covered due to the metal being
        placed on different layers during fabrication.  This explains
        the contrast in definition between the upper and lower
        portions of the sundial.  HP chip designers chose the sundial
        to represent the clock on this chip because it is much faster
        than any watch and time does not move in discrete "ticks".

Jim
| Jim Cobb          | 540 Arapeen Dr. #100 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
| Parametric        | Salt Lake City, UT   |     (801)-588-4632 |
|  Technology Corp. |           84108-1202 | Fax (801)-588-4650 |
We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. -- C.S. Lewis