Thibaud Taudin-Chabot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The year 1800 wouldn't be a leap year under the Gregorian calendar because
> 18 is not a mutliple of 4.

Yes, this agrees with what I said about 1800 being treated as a normal
year in England as a result of her adoption the Gregorian reform.

>                            Would England have adopted the Gregorian
> calendar right from the start in 1582 then 1600 would have been the first
> centennial leap year.

Regardless of adoption of the Gregorian change 1600 would have been a
leap year--under both the Julian and Gregorian rules 1600 is a leap
year (as is 2000, which is what began this thread of discussion).  The
first century non-leap year for early adopters of the reform was 1700.
However, 1700 was treated as a leap year in England and other late
adopters.  That is the reason England had one more day of adjustment
when the reform was finally adopted.

> Did you know that by the same act of Parliament in 1751 the start of the
> year was changed from 25 March to 1 Januari, commencing in 1752 ?

Yes.

Jim             40N45, 111W53
| Jim Cobb          | 540 Arapeen Dr. #100 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
| Parametric        | Salt Lake City, UT   |     (801)-588-4632 |
|  Technology Corp. |           84108-1202 | Fax (801)-588-4650 |
You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?     -- Steven Wright