Dear Fer:

A friend helped me to download and set up your ZONWLAK program on Saturday
and I spent nearly the entire weekend playing with it.  It was much easier
than I thought it would be, once I got started!  Not only did I succeed in
coming up with the analemma and declination lines that we discussed last
week, but I was able to design other types of dials as well.  I think the
most important part of using the program is knowing exactly what you want in
a sundial and being able to provide the program with the proper design
specifications.  Harold Brandmaier's HELP file was very useful.  Thanks Harold.

Even though the dial plate line drawings look crisp, smooth, and beautiful
on the computer screen (especially in color!), we have been having some
trouble getting a good quality printout that doesn't have those anoying
little step lines.  Any suggestions?  I'm going to take the program to
Alphagraphics, a high-end photo copy shop here, to see if they can give me a
better printout on a CAD system.

By the way, I noticed that your data input for "step hours" goes to only two
decimal places.  How would I do a step hour of five minutes?  Would it be
5/60 = .08333... = .08
Wouldn't rounding down this repeating decimal cause problems?

I know that my dialing career will never be the same now that I have the
fabulous ZONWVLAK.  No more of those horribly tedious sessions with my dad's
old Navy trig tables and my calculator!  I'm free!

Thanks for giving Independence Day a new meaning,

John Carmichael
http://www.azstarnet.com/~pappas