Tony:

You are correct that you would probably sell very few videos of your
advanced techniques to this group.  And I would wager that nobody will ever
attempt to do what you do.  For the beginner metalworker, you must try to
keep everything as simple and inexpensive as possible.

So, instead of talking about your manufacturing processes specifically, you
could maybe discuss the different types of metalworking in a general sort of
way without going into a lot of detail: welding, soldering, lost wax, nut
and bolt assembly, molds, engraving, etc. Then, of these different methods
pick one or two which could be used by the average hobbiest to make a sundial.

For example, one could buy a sheet of 1/8 " brass, cut it to shape for the
dial face with a 1 1/2 " Dremel composite cutoff wheel, cut the gnomon the
the same way, then drill holes in plate using metal drill bits, and fix the
gnomon to the face with nuts and bolts.  To engrave the hour lines and
numerals, one could use the diamond points and cutoff wheel that I describe
in my article.

Or, using the great variety of factory precut metals that are available
(sheets, rods, strips, tubes, wire, cable, blocks, etc. With just a drill,
nuts and bolts, one could make an "Erector Set" type of sundial.  (I saw an
actual Erector Set Equatorial sundial somewhere on the net and it was
beautiful!)

There is probably even some simple welding or soldering that the beginner
could do using those hand held propane tourches or electric soldering irons.

I think It is important to keep things simple and inexpensive so people
aren't afraid to try. Then, send the video of what YOU do to the Smithsonian
for safekeeping!

John Carmichael
32.3N111W
Tucson Arizona