Hi Richard

Looks very much like what architects would refer to as a sun-path diagram
;=) This one is an Equidistant chart of the sky vault on a 2D surface. The
Equidistant sun-path is commonly used by architects in the USA, in many
other parts of the globe we would use a chart which is a Sterographic (or
radial) projection of the sky vault.

You can use it as follows:
Assume you wish to check the possibility of the sun entering a room at a
certain time of the year. Make a transparency of the Sundicator and place it
over a plan of the room with its center at the point of interest. Align true
north on the plan with N on the Sundicator. Draw lines from the window
opening back to the point of interest. You now have a good indication of
when the sun will strike the point of interest in terms of hours per day and
months of the year, read from the blue scale. You would now use the red
scale to make a check on the sun altitude against a  section through the
room in question. This way you could arrange a shading projection to cut the
sun off in say the hotter months of the year.

Hope this helps.

--
John D Hall
School of Architecture - University of Tasmania