Sorry folks,

I should have included the following description of the book on
japanning  from Rita Shenton's web site:

STALKER J PARKER G

A TREATISE OF JAPANNING AND VARNISHING

80pp plates SC l998 Transcribed reprint of 1688 manual written by
craftsmen of that period hence provides much insight into working
practices, materials then in use with some illus of patterns Includes
counterfeiting tortoiseshell, gilding, staining ir

Pds 8.50

If the receipes are updated to give modern terms for the vcarious
ingredients, the book could be very useful.

Another thought: In his monumental classic on metal working,
Holtzappel (? spelling, my copies are at home) described a number of
processes for treating and colouring wood and metal. There MAY be
something in one of the volumes on japanning metal. I will have a
look tonight and post a message tomorrow.

 John

Dr John Pickard
Senior Lecturer, Environmental Planning
Graduate School of the Environment
Macquarie University, NSW 2109 Australia
Phone + 61 2 9850 7981 (work)
      + 61 2 9482 8647 (home)
Fax   + 61 2 9850 7972 (work)