Slawomir K. Grzechnik wrote:

>2. Paris meridian, or rather opposition to Greenwhich Meridian, was still
>seriously raised on international conferences before the First World War.
>French lost the Prime Meridan finally but won meters, liters and kilograms,
>very useful BTW, not yet in the US. In order not to run out of causes for
>holy wars we should prepare new in advance.

I was in France this last Summer and found that they are still selling maps
based on the Paris Meridian with the Latitude and Longitude measured in
grads (the Metric degree with 400 per full circle). In fact most of the
maps in the stores were this way with a few showing this and the UK system
as well.

Cheers,

        John

Professor John P.G.Shepherd
Physics Department
University of Wisconsin-River Falls
410 S. 3rd. St.
River Falls,WI 54022

Phone (715)-425-3196, eve. (715)-425-6203
Fax (715)-425-0652

44.88 degrees N, 92.71 degrees W.