Hello Gordon,

        Indeed, MS Encarta seems to have gotten it wrong. In the attached image
graph A shows the amount of time the solar day varies relative to the
mean day with a maximum of approx. 30secs, not 16mins! These daily
deltas sum and result in the EoT values at a given point, see graph B.

        BTW, my WWW Solar Calculator computes the apparent solar day length as
one of its data items, should anyone be interested in a specific day.

Regards,

Luke Coletti

Gordon Uber wrote:

> The Microsoft Encarta 99 encyclopedia article on Solar Time contains the
> following:
>
> "The difference in the length of the 24-hr day at different seasons of the
> year
> can amount to as much as 16 min."
>
> I think that they mean this to be a description of the equation of time,
> but it
> looks incorrect to me.
>
> They go on to use this to explain the need for mean time.
>
> Am I correct that this is an error?
>
> Gordon
>
> Gordon Uber [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Reynen & Uber Web Design http://www.ubr.com/rey&ubr/
> Webmaster: Clocks and Time http://www.ubr.com/clocks/
Attachment converted: MAC Hard Disk:Sday_eot.gif (GIFf/JVWR) (000134A7)