Hi there.
           This is my first message to the list - so hi all dialers.
Regarding Franks mention of simple folks cry of "give us back our 11
days" Well I would be pretty riled too if the rent was due 11 days
early as I'm sure evil land lords would have used the change in the
calender as a good excuse to ring money from the masses. I bet they
didnt get paid earlier!!!

> I believe Slawomir is mistaken in thinking that on the introduction of
> the Gregorian calendar in 1582 Pope Gregory XIII removed 11 days from
> the calendar; it was in fact 10 days.  By 1752, when Great Britain (and
> the American colonies) tranferred from the Julian to the Gregorian
> calendar the difference had drifted on a further day and eleven days
> were removed in those countries, hence the cry:"Give us back our eleven
> days".
>
> Of course, some simple folk felt that eleven days of their lives had
> been stolen and there are always people ready for a good punch-up
> (Britain at that time was ruled by oligarchy tempered by riot) but the
> real trouble was that the next quarter day, the day the rent was due,
> was going to arrive eleven days early, a most unwelcome fact.

Martin
              And you press on God's Waiter your
              last dime as he hands you the bill.
                                    Ian Anderson.