And for a discussion of the transit of Venus, teaching astronomy, and love,
read Stephen Leacock's short story "The Transit of Venus." :-)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Dave Bell wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, John Pickard wrote:
>
>> When I was a kid at school more years ago than I care to remember, I
>> was taught that Lieutenant James Cook RN came out to Australia in
>> 1770 (or was it 1772??) to have a look around, and also to observe
>> the "transit of Venus" in Tahiti.
>>
>> So my question (which I am sure will be answered) is simple: why
>> would anyone cross the road (let alone the world in a small sailing
>> ship) just to see a ToV?
>>
>> Thanks, John
>> Dr John Pickard
>> Senior Lecturer, Environmental Planning
>> Graduate School of the Environment
>> Macquarie University, NSW 2109 Australia
>
>John:
>
>  Your question intrigued me, as I had always just accepted the bare
>statement, and hadn't thought about *why*, at least that I can recall.
>
>  Certainly, one part of the question - "why travel so far?" is clear. The
>event, like a lunar eclipse, is not visible from all parts of the Earth.
>In fact, it is slightly more like a total solar eclipse, in that one's
>position on the Earth affects the view, by parallax.
>
>  The big question though, is "Why did they care?". Seems the project was
>basically to determine the radius of the Earth's orbit, still undetermined
>in the late 18th century.
>
>  Check out:
>
>http://www.dsellers.demon.co.uk/index.htm
>
>Dave

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/