Hello all,

As a newcomer to this list, I beg your forgiveness if my questions have already been hashed out on this list dozens of times.  I have not been lurking long enough to see what kinds of questions are appropriate.

I am what you might call an "enthusiast."  My wife calls me "obsessed."  I just have a very intense interest in sundials.

My first question is What meridians require no longitudinal adjustment?  In other words, are time zones constructed so that the sun is directly over the center of the time zone when the whole time zone is said to be at 12:00?  I live in the Rocky Mountain time zone, which seems to run from about 100 deg. W. to 115 deg. W longitude.  When it's noon here, is the sun directly over 107.5 deg. W.?

Secondly, how does one construct a gnomon for an equitorial sundial which adjusts for the equation of time?

Third, what clever ways have you discovered for pointing a gnomon at the north star?  I am wondering how I can aim it with precision when I can't sight down the edge of it, as it is mounted on the base of my horizontal sundial.

Last, is there any significant difference between the north star and true north, and do I need to adjust for this?

Thanks in advance,

Rod Heil
Enthusiast