Let me quote the standard textbook: "American Practical Navigator, An
Epitome of Navigation" originally by Nathaniel Bowditch, on dip with
refraction. "The average value has not been established with certainty, and
several methods of computing dip have been proposed. The values given in
the critical tables on the inside front cover of the Nautical Almanac were
computed by the equation D = 0.97 * sqrt h in feet....Minor discrepancies
... are not important in practical navigation."

I would add "and even less so in the design of sundials". Sunset phenomenon
are not that precise.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115