Bob,

What a great dial.  I have looked at the photos and have a few questions and
comments.

It appears there is an upper half of the meridian as you said.  I suspect
this missing piece is the same shape and size (at least at its ends) as the
lower half of the merdian. This is evident by how the raised edges of the
casting do not go around the end. Rather then stop very abruptly as if it
should continue on another piece.  Also there is writing above the 0 degree
mark that continues into the missing peice.

What is the writing that appears at the top of photo 5?  It may be a clue to
the slide that you call "B".

I don't think the "Hour Angle" is the same as the "Hour Angle Arc".  It's
easy to see how an arc that rotated about the polar axis, and had a hole in
it perpendicular to the center of the globe, makes a sundial.  We have seen
this idea in a lots of dial with wires or pointer to the sun.   However,
that same hole could not be used to align with the horizon as stated in step
two, because the globe would be in the way.

The instructions only talks about a single pointer and a single timescale,
The timescale seems to be the newly found part.  For the "Hour Angle" and
the "Hour Angle Arc" to rotate about the axis and tell time, it seems that
the timescale has to be in a plane perpendicular to the axis.   Perhaps as a
ring at the bottom of the globe similar to the Longitude Scale at the top of
it?  Would you say the radius of the new peice is the same the meridian or
the Longitude scale?

If the slider B is on the meridian how does it affect the "Hour Angle" and
the "Hour Angle Arc"?

If the new piece is the timescale, would there be a need on the globe?
Perhaps the new peice is a red herring left by the evil Dr. Moriarty.

Hold on.  I just looked at the Longitude ring in photo 4 and it has hours
written on it.  They appear to be the GMT offset for each timezone.

++ron