I have such a compass for about 20 years. It is a great and very handy
compass and very accurate.
But be careful! If you are wearing glasses that are fitted in a metal frame
you can get a misreading of up to 5 degrees because the compass is very
close to the frame depending on the kind and amount of metal.
I found this by pure accident in a case where I knew what readings I should
have when I demonstrated the compass to a friend.

At 08:47 13-2-99 -0800, you wrote:
-----Original Message/Oorspronkelijk bericht--------------
>Boys (AND girls!)
>
>My new toy arrived, that is Mini Avio 2000 Compass that I could not help
>but order on the night I was replying to compass related postings. It is
>absolutely lovely and very easy to use. It is marine compass filled with
>liquid and they do not mention anything about its resistance to low
>pressure so I will not take it to the mountains. On the other hand they
>probably ship those by air and cargo compartments probably are not
>pressurized so who knows.
>
>As a marine compass it has rotating compass rose rather than magnetic
>needle. Its optical system is a prism-lense single piece of glass focused
>at infinity. So during bearings you keep the thing to your cheek and look
>at the object while seeing the appropriate part of the rose in the prism
>and take very accurate reading.
>
>So if you have about $100 to spend do not hesitate. Celestaire sells French
>made ones but I think other companies sell similar pieces as well. If you
>cannot spend $100 at this time then the best solution is $10 Scandinavian
>make. Do not take the ones with mirrors but the simpliest ones and learn
>how to use them efficiently.
>
>Slawek
>

>Slawek Grzechnik
>32 57.4'N   117 08.8'W
>http://home.san.rr.com/slawek

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot, home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(attachments max 500kB, in case of larger attachments contact me)