I never realised that the names of the navy watches were different on the
British ships. Dutch Navy has the following scheme:
00.00-04.00 Hondewacht (Dogwatch, only dogs are supposed to be awake)
04.00-08.00 Dagwacht (Daywatch, the watch were you can see the first daylight)
08.00-12.00 Voormiddag wacht (Ante Meridian watch)
12.00-16.00 Achtermiddag wacht (Past Miridian watch)
16.00-18.00 Eerste platvoetwacht (First Flatfood watch)
18.00-20.00 Tweede platvoetwacht (Second Flatfood watch)
20.00-24.00 Eerste wacht (First watch)

So you see that in the Dutch Navy they split the watch around evening
dinnertime into two half watches.

The term dutchman's log is not a translation but means the cheapest log
available.

Bye the way, did you ever see a sundial on a ship? The Dutch cruiseship
Oranje had one. The ship sank after a fire long ago(I think in the pacific)
so we cannot check it anymore.

At 14:50 14-2-99 +0000, you wrote:
-----Original Message/Oorspronkelijk bericht--------------
>Greetings, fellow dialists,
>
>Just a further very brief word on dog watches.  On British ships, and
>I'm sure everywhere else, dog watches were two half watches, each of two
>hours.  They were from four till six and six till eight in the evening.
>Their purpose was to change the daily watch order aboard watch and watch
>ships, once universal.  On British merchant ships they were called first
>and second dog watch while in the Royal Navy they were called first and
>last dog watch.  I think Thibaud Taudin-Chabot and Slawek Grzechnik are
>both mistaken in thinking these watches occurred in the night.  The
>watch from midnight to four in the morning is called the middle watch, a
>watch I once knew well.
>
>Interesting that the Dutch have a 'hondewacht'.  This must be the same
>word as dog watch.   Is 'honde' just a modifier?  We had another example
>a moment ago with 'dutchman's log' (also 'dutch log'), which is not a
>real log but a bit of wood chucked over the side and timed past two
>points on the ship's length.  It is very accurate at low speed.
>
>Message to sundialists.  Please be patient and stop pushing.  Sundials
>will return to these pages soon.  Watch this space.
>
>Frank
>
>--
>Frank Evans

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot, home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(attachments max 500kB, in case of larger attachments contact me)