Hi Luke,
It was raining earlier today so I pursued your gnomonic thread to
spirals and Fibonaccidentally stumbled upon the very instructive:
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html#spiral

There a click on Equiangular Spiral led to:
http://www.best.com/~xah/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/EquiangularSpiral_dir/equiangularSpiral.html

where a click on Table of Contents led to A Visual Dictionary of Special
Plane Curves at:
http://www.best.com/~xah/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/specialPlaneCurves.html
All wonderful stuff.

On the other hand a click on Logarithmic Spiral led to:
http://www.notam.uio.no/~oyvindha/loga.html
with its beautifully generated "shells".

Thank goodness the return of sunshine has inspired me to search for some
water snails outside rather than spiralling further along the branches
of these beautifully diverging series.

I wonder if Mathematica has been tried for generating sundial
information.

Cheers,
Tom Semadeni