Hi Pieter,
Thanks for the 4 .jpegs.
That is a colossal sculpture!  I'm not sure that I understand the function of
the variety of "gnomons", spheres, and suspended planar surfaces.  It appears
quite complex at first sight.  Perhaps you could elaborate.

The first challenge that springs to mind is the type of shadow that is cast by
a  slender gnomon upon a plane surface a long ways away.  I assume that you
will want to use the tip of the gnomon as a seasonal marker in some way.  I
suggest that you use a dimensioned "pole" cantilevered from a high roof-top to
look at the shadow carefully.

You will also be able to experiment with the surface colour and texture of the
dial face using the shadow of this set-up.

You are going to have significant aerodynamic forces due to lift, drag and,
interestingly, the shedding of vortices from all of the shapes.  The shedding
of the vortices off of the struts, cables, and the planar surfaces will cause
vibrations which can lead to enormous resonance loads, large enough to destroy
the structures.  There is no question that you MUST consider aerodynamic loads
in this project.

At the Science North "Celeste",
http://sciencenorth.on.ca/AboutSN/polaris/index.html   ,
I had to decouple the various sections of the semicircles to prevent the thing
from shaking itself apart in a 50 km/hr wind.
Here is a good URL to look at some of the aerodynamic (q) loads:
http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/IFMD/airplane/short.html
I trust that this is a helpful start.
Cheers,
Tom