Fellow shadow watchers

I recently put an IBM/MS DOS formatted Zip Disc into my Apple Zip Drive
(9600/350 with built-in drive) by mistake and was surprised to find that
it worked perfectly without any re-formatting.  As I can bulk-buy these
discs for half the price of the Mac formatted item:-

(a)  can IBM/MS DOS discs be re-formatted in the same way as floppies
using the built-in Mac formatter?  When I tried it seemed to work but the
formatter still noted that it was an IBM/MS DOS format!

(b)  am I taking a risk by storing my precious images in this way?

With apologies for the off-topic subject and thanks in advance for any
advice.

Tony Moss