I used a fine saw to cut the (5min. apart) lines, taking care to avoid
cumulative errors.   I then filled the shallow slots with black paint.  Still
quite effective after 27 years or so: can be read to about 1 min. if the whole
dial has not been moved by an over-keen gardener.   Good luck!   Wilf.
52d15.81'N; 1d34.71'E.