Sara,

I have taken your classification and restructured it into a language called
Backus-Naur that is used to describe languages, descriptions, sentences,
etc. I have taken the liberty of adding a few descriptions, but this is
basically yours. It looks cumbersome but it isn't too bad.  It is a way to
check to see if a sentence belongs to a language, or in our case, does a
description of a dial have an un ambiguous meaning in our language?

Form of the language:

   []    means an optional item
   {}    means a required item
   ...   means an item can be repeated
   |     means is one of many choices
  <>   means an item name
  +     means this item is assume if nothing is specified

A dial is describe by the following sentence:

   SUNDIALS IS  [<mobility>] [<location>] [<sun-motion>] [<form>]
[<historical type>] [<face orientation>]

where

<mobility> is              portable | fixed+
<form> is                   [cannon | compass | floating | polyhedral |
diptych | magnetic | ring]...
<location> is              universal | independent*
<sun-motion> is         [hour angle+ | azimuth | altitude]...
<historical type> is     Butterfield | Oughtred | Regiomontanus | de Rojas |
Augsburg
<face orientation> is   horizontal+ | vertical | declining | inclining |
equatorial | polar
<gnomon type> is      string | pin | rod | garden+**
<hours> is                 SHOWING {Babylonian | Italian | local | mean}...
HOURS
<furniture is                WITH {LINES|MARKS}  {OF|FOR}  {seasons |  Dates
| declension | hours till dark }...
<correction> is           CORRECTED FOR {eot | longitude | daylight Savings
time}...

Notes:

*  Independent means there are no adjustments for new locations, universal
implies adjustments
** traditional triangle shape of horizontal dials
+ Default if not mentioned

A simple example  would be "Sundial"  which would mean a fixed hour angle,
horizontal, garden gnomon dial.

A very complex example would be a "fixed universal azimuth polyhedral
Butterfield type string dial, SHOWING Babylonian and Italian HOURS, WITH
LINE OF declension and a MARK FOR my dad's birthday, CORRECTED FOR EOT and
DST".  But that type of dial needs a complex descriptions.

The question then is:  Can all descriptions of dials fit into the language
above, and still produce intelligent sounding names?

I welcome all to test out the descriptions of various dials and see if they
fit.  I'm sure there would have to be some additions and tweaking of
attributes, but it's a start.

++ron