As far as I know it is because in a HPGL file the characters are not
described using their ASCII value but as a bunch of vectors. So it will
always be difficult to see the difference between the character A and three
lines drawn in a way that they resemble the character A.
Thibaud

>I myself tested the results of my 2 little programs with AutoCAD (for dxf)
>and Printgl (for hpgl). These programs are using different letters and so it
>seems nearly impossible to get the same type and size of letters and
>numerals. I suppose that these different programs haven't installed the same
>styles. Or does anybody know the real reason???

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot
52°18'19.85" North  04°51'09.45" East
home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(attachments max. 500kB; for larger attachments contact me first)