Roger,

        I too suggested a circular pattern of stones around the periphery of
the dial center to act as sighting markers for different (mainly solar)
observations (URL of proposal image below). Unfortunately, and I hope
you have better luck, the design review process eliminated them, they
were thought to be too easy to trip over.

http://www.gcstudio.com/images/parkdial.jpg

-Luke

<snip>