> There is an article in the most recent edition of Sky and Telescope magazine
> about "photographing the analemma".
>
> It describes how photos have been taken which show the movement of the sun.
> They rely on time lapse (either 365 or 12 exposures over the course of a
> year), with each exposure taken at the same clock time each day. The photos
> are of a landscape including the sun itself rather than a shadow thrown by
> it. Apparently, only 5 such photos are know to have been produced. The
> article also mentions a web site at http://www.analemma.com which provides a
> very clear explanation of the analemma and its consequences.
>
> Steve

    I work near the Sky & Telescope office, and know a number of the editors
    since some are in the local astronomy club.

    The first analemma picture was taken by Dennis diCicco.  He used a 4x5
    camera bolted to a window frame, and used an electronic clock timer to
    fire the shutter at the appropriate time on the days chosen for pictures.
    The picture was made on one piece of 4x5 color film.  The first year
    he tried this, he didn't take into account the rails that hold the film
    in the film holder and cut off a bit of one solar image, so he spent
    another year making a second photograph.  I saw the camera arrangement
    during the secoond year of use.