I try to answer to some of the last messages  on the subject

John Carmichael has written:
> And I give you think that we should stop using the term " monofilar " to
>describe Singleton dials?

  I don't know the Singleton Sundial and so I cannot answer
--------------------------

Sara Schechner has written:
>I am very much against using monofilar in this way. It is confusing and
>unhelpful. It seems to me that monofilar should refer to a special case of
>string-gnomon.

I think that the definition Monofilar causes the same confusion of
Bifilar,definition  used and accepted by all, from almost 80 years.
I think that, in general,  there is some confusion also  on the Bifilar
sundials
--------------------------

To John Davis, Steve Lelievre, Warren Thom .Sara Schechner and others

I have called (in an  article on "The Compendium" September 1998) Monofilar
"those sundials in which the element that casts the shadow is a rectilinear
element and the set of the date lines have a shape  chosen by the designer
(as he wants)"

As Fer de Vries has already written the element DOESN'T HAVE TO BE
necessarily a thread,  a string or a cable  but it can be the edge of a
plate or  of a balcony or the ledge of a building, a pole, etc.
Moreover the date lines must not have necessarily the shape of concentric
circles (even if these are simple to be traced)
Therefore the common  sundials with  a polar style are included,  as very
particular cases, in this group (category) of sundials

The Monofilar and Bifilar sundials  can be built with  any kind  of Time:
Middle Time (Standard), Local Apparent Time, with Italic, Babylonian,
Temporary hours, etc.

On the name of this category of sundials I accept whatever suggestion.
I had also thought to other name as " Mono-style ", "Mono-line", "With
linear shadow", etc.: every name can give confusion and be erroneously
interpreted.

As Fer has already written also in the Bifilar Sundials  the elements that
cast the shadows don't have to be necessarily threads, strings or cables,
despite the fact that  word "Bifilar" literally means  "two threads" .

Moreover they don't even have to be straight lines .

A fine  example of a great Bifilar Sundial is  in Barcelona - Spain near the
beach.
It can be seen in the beautiful book of Rafael Sun GayĆ”  "Relojes de Sol".
In it the two " threads" are : 1) an vertical element (of Plexiglas or of
glass), in the plane  E-W, with the edge with the  shape of a parabola and
2)  the horizontal edge of a plate (of Plexiglas or of glass) in the
vertical plane North-South .

The fact that  almost always the Bifilar Sundials are built in a horizontal
plane with  two horizontal perpendicular " threads"  has, in my opinion,
historical  and practical reasons  :  the sundial designed by Michnik in
1922 had these characteristics and  the calculation with this configuration
is more simple.
To overcome the obstacle we can now use programs to calculate Bifilar
Sundials on a whatever plane and with " threads " placed in a whatever way.

--------------

Altitude Sundials

As I have written in a precedent message that,  in my opinion,  the
azimuthal sundials must  have a vertical style.
I try now   to explain my thought on Altitude sundials

The position of the Sun in sky is determined  when we know his 2 coordinates
in a given system of coordinates of reference.
The  main  systems of coordinates that  are used and have been used are :
1) the equatorial coordinates: hour angle and declination
2) the azimuthal coordinates (or local): azimuth and  altitude (height)
3) the Ptolemaic coordinates: meridian angle and hectemoros angle
4) the Ptolemaic coordinates: vertical angle and horarius angle

In each of these systems the first coordinate (the first angle) is a
dihedral  angle between the planes that belong to a pencil of planes all
passing for the same straight line  (axis or fundamental direction of the
system of coordinates)
The axis are: 1) the polar axis, 2) the vertical of the place (Zenith -
Nadir), 3) the direction East-West, 4) the direction North - South

The plane perpendicular to the axis is said "equatorial plane of the
system."
They are : 1) the plane of the Celestial Equator, 2) the horizontal plane,
3) the vertical plane North-South (meridian p.), 4) the vertical plane
East-West (First Vertical p.)

The second coordinate (the second angle) is measured from the axis of the
system to the direction of the Sun
Or, and it is the same thing, this angle is measured on the plane passing
through the axis of the system and the Sun between the direction of the Sun
and the "equatorial plane of the system"

As I have already written, if we want that the shadow in a sundial can be
calculated knowing only the first coordinate (angle) the style has to be  a
straight line parallel to the axis of the system.
So  in 1) if we want that the position of the shadow is known when we know
only the hour angle, .the style has to be parallel to the polar axis;
 in 2)  if we want to use only the azimuth (azimuthal s.) the axis has to be
vertical;  etc.

On the contrary, if we want that the position of the shadow can be
calculated when we know only the second coordinate (for ex. the height or
Altitude of the Sun) , we need that the sundial can rotate around the axis
of the system and that the geometric element that casts the shadow is a
point (except exceptions)
We can also make fixed sundials if we take many points (in theory an
infinite number) :  one for every direction.
All the Altitude dials therefore must  have the possibility to be rotated
around the vertical axis (except exceptions).
The common shepherd sundial has this property.
An example of "exception" is the cylindrical hat-sundial in which a circular
disk (hat) casts its shadow on the surface of a vertical cylinder.
In it we have an infinite number of points (on the edge of the disk) that
cast  shadow, one point for every direction.

In the same way  if we want to make a sundial that uses only the Hectemoros
angle, we need that it can rotate around the direction East-West (see the
article of  F.Sawyer in the issue of September 1998 of "The Compendium")

I apologize for the length of the message

Best

Gianni Ferrari
Ing.Gianni Ferrari
Via Valdrighi, 135