Arthur,

>I spent many idle hour trying to come up with a sundial that would allow an
>easy
>mechanical correction for the equation of time.

Let me then alert you to an article that is currently projected for the June
issue
of the Compendium: "Kratzer Layout, Yabashi Point & Sawyer Equant".  The
article will
include a discussion of the standard time dial invented by Tokutaro Yabashi and
discussion of a general form of the Equant sundial I introduced in:

"An Equant Sundial", Bulletin of the British Sundial Society, Jul 1991,
91(2):34.

I will attach a copy of the latter article to a separate email to you.  I think
you will
find the equant dial interesting for its ability to provide the correction you
refer to.

Fred Sawyer