Hello dialists:

My new Celestial Products moon calendar says that there will be a total
lunar eclipse at 4:41 UT on January 21 (the evening of Jan. 20th in North
America).

We have already discussed on the list the fact that moonlight should
indicate the correct time on a sundial during totality if corrected for EOT
and longitude and if its light is bright enough to cast a shadow.  But what
happens to the declination readings on a sundial during a lunar eclipse?
I'm thinking that the shadow of the nodus should indicate a date which is
exactly six months from the date of the eclipse.  In this case a sundial
with declination lines would show the date to be July 21.  Is my theory
correct about this?

Those of you who have sundials with declination lines might want to check
this out during totality.  I'm also curious if there will be enough
moonlight to even see a shadow.

Mark this date on your calendars and please let us all know the results of
your observations.

Thanks

John Carmichael
Tucson Arizona