On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, [iso-8859-1] S?rgio Garcia Doret wrote:

>       My friend Miguel was very enthusiastic with all those answers and ask me
> to transcribe:

> And finally, if I may,
> another question: why is the visible face of the moon so heavy pockmarked
> with meteors craters? When we see it at night, it has it back turned to the
> outer solar system and the asteroid belt, and during the rest of the cycle
> it is shielded by the earth and it's gravitational field. Maybe an ancient
> high-tech Nero character amused himself  takink starwarspotshots at the
> poor thing ?
> Miguel "

Quite likely because, in the distant past, our Moon was not yet tidally
locked to always turn the same face towards her primary. The early solar
system was much more heavily bombarded by loose meteoritic debris, and
Luna was fairly evenly cratered, as was Earth. Lacking a weather system
and life to provide erosion, the craters remain for our puzzlement...

Dave Bell
N 37.277285 W -121.966391