Fritz Stumpges wrote:

>         I am trying to locate "Don LeGrand".  He is the maker of a beautiful
> sundial (1978) located in El Cajon, California (near San Diego).  It is
> listed in the NASS register, #214, and is a type of armillary sphere.  Years
> ago vandals destroyed its pole gnomon and I was trying to find out what it
> was like.  I would like to restore it to its original condition and design
> if possible.  I am in contact with its current owner, who did not know
> anything was wrong. I believe he will be willing to let me refurbish it if I
> can show him how it is intended to work and get his interest in how nice of
> a dial he has.  It is on a busy, city street corner, with a nice, small
> garden path to it.  The original owner, First Federal Savings and Loan is
> gone and was replaced by the "Hair Cut Store" 393 E. Chase.
>         If anyone knows of Don's whereabouts, or Don, if you are a member of
> this
> list, please contact:
>
> Fritz Stumpges
> 15027 Adams Dr.
> Pauma Valley, CA
> 92061
> 760)736-6178
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fritz, I have seen this dial in the last couple of years.  It is in
great shape except for the gnomon. This thing is a massive structure of
stainless steel and about the only thing Vandals could do was swing on
the gnomon and break it out. The gnomon is a rod of about 1/2 inch
diameter and shouldn't be too difficult to replace.  I also have a
picture of it somewhere and could forward it to you if you would like.
As I recall it had a correction table associated with it on the base so
I don't think the gnomon was complicated or correcting for local time.
If I can be of any help let me know.

Happy restoration,
Bob Haselby  San Diego, CA