Hello all:

When I receive an order for a sundial from somebody who lives in a large
city, rather than using the latitude and longitude coordinates of the home
of the customer, I use the coordinates of the City Hall of that city.   I do
this because City Hall is usually located near the geographical center of
the city (but not always).  Once I have the hour lines calculated for this
location, if I ever get another order from another customer who lives in a
different part of that city, then I don't have to recalculate the hour
lines.  In other words, I use the same coordinates for all customers who
live in the same city.  My rule of thumb is that if the sundial is located
within about 30 miles of it's design coordinates, then its time keeping
errors are too small to be detected on my sundials.

This saves me work because I can use the same sundial design for everyone
who lives in that particular city.

Now I'm thinking that rather than using the coordinates of City Hall for my
design calculations, that it might be better to use the center of population
density instead, because accuracy would be slightly improved by using
coordinates that are closer to where the people of that city live.  Does
this make sense?

Does anybody know if maps or coordinates are available which give the
location for the center of population for large cities?  (Don't confuse
population center with geographical center).

Thanks

John Carmichael
Tucson Arizona