This rings a bell with me.  If memory serves me correctly, I recall seeing
some Renaissance mathematical instruments like sectors or folding squares
that had hour scales on them.  These were scales not for laying out sundials
(dialling scales were not uncommon on these instruments), but were scales to
be used for telling time.  They worked as altitude dials.  When the two arms
of the instrument were opened to form a right angle, and a gnomon pin was
placed in a hole on one arm, its shadow would fall on the other arm's scale.

A carpenter's square, suitably inscribed, could be used in a similar
manner.

Cheers,
Sara Schechner
39:00 N 77:01 W