Hi all,
I have been skimming all the dial stuff lately and have seen a few
comments on using GPS and Compasses for orienting sundials. On my first
experimental dials  I used a puck type marine hand bearing compass for
alignment.  I live on a hill and  was able to sight to a distant object
that was directly east after correcting for the magnetic variation.
This happened to be a restaurant about a mile away.  To align the dial
(a horizontal with a square base) I just sighted along the edge of the
dial to the same spot.  This seemed to work ok. I figured the error
using this method was probably about as good as you could do with a
compass.

I think that a similar technique using a GPS might give a reasonable
alignment. In my case where I live on a hill and have unrestricted view
(on a clear day) of sometimes 30 miles to distant peaks in the local
hills and mountains, I think that the accuracy of gps would be good
enough if I "locate" myself on a distant hill and have the gps calculate
the bearing to my home location.  The reciprocal bearing would be
observed from my back yard and could be used to align  a dial.
The assumption of course is that the gps position error would generate a
pretty insignificant bearing error if the base line distance to the
identifiable peak is large when compared to the probable position
error.  To reduce the error to a minimum one would use two gps units
simultaneously one at each location and with the judicious use of a cell
phone to effect simultaneity, one could minimize the total differential
error.   A topographical map could also be used for alignment without
actually involving a hike to the peak.

For later dials (most vertical declining) I observe the time when the
rising sun just grazes the surface of the dial location. This is easy
and accurate.

Dials are forever,
Bob 33N 117W