I was asked about laser engraving of plastics, for use as dial scales, and
thought it worth forwarding to the list.

It seems that just about any sign, rubber stamp or trophy shop these days
has (or has access to) computerized engraving equipment.  Some use
mechanical engraving, and some use laser.  Mechanical engraving seems
limited to low aspect (low depth/width) ratio marking, while laser engraving
can be used to etch very precise high aspect (high depth/low width) ratio
markings, and can even cut directly through the material within (nearly) the
laser beam diameter!

Some shops use equipment without a computer interface, similar to a copier
machine, that scans a black and white image on paper and simultaneously
rasters the laser beam over the material being etched.  Other shops use
computers with software that allows the shop to import files, type in text
and import images, that the computer can then direct the laser to etch.

Laser etching can deeply etch wood and just about all plastics (even clear
Lexan or Plexiglass.)  It can also be used to remove dark paint or anodizing
from the surface of metals, to reveal the shiny metal beneath.  Mike Shaw
just earlier mentioned Traffolite, a multi-layered multi-colored plastic,
primarily used for making signs.  This could be used very well with laser
engraving, where the power of the laser can be instantly adjusted to control
etch and exposed-layer depth, and thus coloration.

Depending on what you are trying to do, laser etching can be a
reasonably-priced method to make parts for your sundial.  If you can draw a
scale or artwork by hand, or print it off from your computer, you can have
the image inexpensively copied / laser etched with fair accuracy directly
onto a flat wood, plastic or metal surface, which may then be permanently
fastened to your sundial.

I went a slightly more expensive route for the New Millennium sundial I am
making.  Because I am having the sundial commercially cast (in a quantity
hopefully greater than one,) I desired a very precise original model.  The
sign shop I went to uses a computer, and an accurate laser engraver very
similar to a drafting plotter.  I did all the design and layout work on my
PC, took my drawing files to the sign shop, then worked with the shop owner
using his graphics and laser software to eventually optimize font placement,
laser power and etch characteristics.  I wanted very good control of line
precision, width and depth, as these etched markings from the original model
will be transferred directly to the mother mold, and in turn will affect the
final castings.  I was very pleased with the final pieces the sign shop
turned out.  The total bill was a one-time cost of about $250, to produce a
very clean, accurate analemmic face plate and equatorial scale for the
original model and for all of the subsequent castings.  This is much cheaper
than I could ever have had a blank bronze sundial engraved for, let alone
multiple sundials.

Hope this helps someone.

Pete S.

email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]