Hi Allan,

Garmin makes a GPS unit called eMap.  It came out in March 2000.  It sells
for around $200.  Service Merchandise is reducing the line of products they
sell and they have the unit for $150 around here.  These units have the 2.04
version of firmware, but with a PC cable ($30 more) you can upgrade with v
2.5 for "free".  It has a moon and sun "locator" in its 2.5 version of
firmware.  I am not sure what that means - and would appreciate anyone
shedding light on the topic.

Caution:  If you want maps of streets, points of interest, etc. -- you can
only use Garmin Map Source MetroGuide CD ROMs (USA, United Kingdom, France,
Germany, Italy,Sweden and Denmark, or Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg  $
124.99 each) with a PC that will load only a portion of the maps onto an
8(`$90) or 16 Meg ($125) cartridge for eMap to use. -- You could connect the
GPS to something like Street Atlas on a laptop (or Palm?) , but that would
defeat the purpose of a hand held mapping device.

I found a lot of interesting things in the last issue of the Compendium.  I
was expecting some discussion on this list about some of the concepts.  It
is a great publication.  I really liked the "interactive" dial of moving
one's hand up a vertical pole - when the hand shadow hit a date line on a
horizontal surface - the hand was on the hour mark.  Any comments - anyone?

Warren Thom
(41.649N  88.096W)