Bill Maddux wrote:
>I have been following your thread re adhesives with interest.
>(For what it's worth, I concur in the view that silicone has the
>edge over epoxy for gluing metal to stone --- as well stone to
>stone --- based on my limited experience in dialing and in
>stone carving.)

>..... an important property of an adhesive bond, may at
>times be that it can be readily parted, should need arise.  The
>consequences of failure in this might not be so dire as those my
>uncle invoked, but there are many possible reasons for wanting
>reversible adhesives. In the actual fabrication of dials, thin metal
>stock must often be supported, or held without distorting it with
>clamps, in order to perform machining, grinding or polishing, and
>very importantly, supported and 'backed' for engraving, chasing,
>or 'repoussé' work. Many of the more desirable alloys are non-
>magnetic, so magnetic chucks are not an option.  Traditionally,
>beeswax and rosin, pitch, sealing wax, stick shellac, and such
>have been used.

>.... what are
>the odds that there might be good reason to 'un-set' a dial within
>its lifetime?  As present-day humans, we are a mobile and restless
>bunch.  We might move, and wish to take the dial with us.  The
>chosen site might become unusable in the face of  subsequent
>building,  landscaping, or other activities.  Accidental damage, or
>vandalism, could make it necessary to un-mount a dial and take it
>into a workshop for repairs.
>
>In the case of silicone, (and absent Tony's adjusting screws, with
>only John's wooden shims to contend with) a long, slim, serrated-
>edge bread knife might do the job.  Otherwise, a length of
>bandsaw blade, mounted in an improvised, old-fashioned-type
>saw frame, (the 3-wooden-piece kind, with a twisted-cord
>tensioner) might be used to provide the needed clearance and
>cutting span.  Epoxy would almost surely be more difficult to
>deal with in such an instance.

Hello Bill (and others)

I've always been worried about that too:  that if I install a sundial too
permanently, it would be impossible to move it should the need arise.
Here's an idea on how to remove a silicone attached sundial from its
pedestal.  I don't know if it would work because I haven't tried it.  Maybe
the silicone could be cut (sliced) using a very strong but very thin piece
of piano wire moved back and forth (Like a cheese cutter or dental floss).
Did you know that there are machines that cut stone using wires covered with
diamond dust?  A wire could be made any length and might be easier to use
than a blade or saw.

Just a thought

John