Hello All,

I have been exploring the wonderful world of vertical sundials, thanks
in large part to François Blateyron's
wonderful Shadows program.  Since it has been so cold outside I have
been experimenting with prototypes inside the house
on my sunny windowsills.  I found right away (which I had suspected
anyway) that my sunny South windowsill points
slightly to the East of South, as I had to "cock" my direct south
vertical to the left to get the correct time reading.

I have since figured out how to find the meridian with respect to said
windowsill by putting concentric circles on a card,
erecting a pin gnomon, aligning it with my windowframe, and marking the
shadows throughout the day as they crossed the
lines.  A wonderful moment of, as they say, illumination to be sure.
So, now I am experimenting with vertical decliners...

I have two other windows I would like to experiment in, one facing
slightly N of East, and the other facing slightly S
of West.  The noontime sun is not available so I don't think the
pin-card trick will work.  I need a good simple method to find
the declination of these two windowsills, any ideas?

I especially like the pin-card method because it is so simple that a
potential remote customer could print out a sheet and
perform it himself to give me the declination prior to production of a
dial.  I imagine that some of you have dealt with this
issue before.  My brother lives right on the ocean in California (great
view!), and I would like to make him a West facing
vertical declining dial that will be outside, but oriented to the axis
of his house.  It won't be mounted on a wall, so minor
adjustment will be possible - ultra-precision is not really required in
this case.  If he could perform a simple exercise like the
pin-card, using his window frame as the benchmark with respect to the
axis of his house, I could make a dial for him without
having to go all the way out there.

Can anyone offer any solutions?