corrections are added or subtracted to obtain mean solar (or in reverse, sundial) time. I am guessing that most church clocks in 1803 were corrected to local apparent (sundial) time using a nearby sundial, perhaps daily or weekly.

I would appreciate having other comments posted to Sundials (or at least to me).

Gordon

 >We are doing a historical research. In an important document we find a
 >time indication in Matterdorf (then on the Estates of the Count
 >Eszterhazy in old Hungary, named Nagymarton, today: Mattersburg in
 >Burgenland, near Eisenstadt, in Austria): on Saturday, June 18, 1803, "5
 >
 >minutes before the bell finished ringing 9 p.m.".. Can somebody tell me,
 >
 >how were church clocks calibrated at that place and time, and what does
 >it mean "end of ringing the bell". Was at this time, ~ 1 h after
 >sunset, an "Ave Maria" ringing, which lasted a several minutes ? Was
 >there in Austria/Hungary in 1803 a church, state or local(of the Count
 >?) regulation how to set public clocks ?
 >
 >It was surely not meant to be apparent (=true) solar time, as it is not
 >conceivable that the clock was set exactly at that date to show 12 at
 >true noon.
 >
 >It was surely not meant to be modern mean time, as this was introduced
 >only
 >later (in the first third of the 19 th cent.e.g. Paris in 1816, Zurich
 >1832 (Ginzel III). When exactly in Austria/Hungary ?).
 >
 >It was surely a kind of mean time. But at what date was that mean time
 >set to be the local true time? Perhaps at Nov. 1-3 (when modern Equation
 >
 >of Time was maximal), as the French did, and they used the French
 >"Equation de l'Horloge" (see in the old French almanacs "Conaissance des
 >
 >Temps" of the late 18 th century)? This runs from 0-31 min
 >this is the old "Equation of Days & Nights" of Ptolemy in his "Handy
 >Tables" - 0 min on Nov 1-3, 31 min on February 11) which had to be
 >added to true(=sundial) time, to give mean (=clock) time ?
 >
 >Pls. advise!
 >
 >Thanks.
 >

 >Yaaqov L o e w i n g e r
 >mail : P.O.B. 16 229 ; 61 161 Tel Aviv / Israel
 >tel. : 972-3- 604 61 79; ++ 523 98 33
 >fax : 972-3- 546 90 76
 >e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gordon Uber   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  San Diego, California  USA
Webmaster: Clocks and Time: http://www.ubr.com/clocks