Hi John,

When you write area, you mean circumference, I suppose.

Your fomula is not so accurate as the formula of Ramanujan:

( 3(a + b) - sqrt[ (a + 3b)(3a + b) ] ) pi

De greatest deviation according to this formula is 0.4 % (when the minor axe is
zero).
According to your formula the deviation varies from 21,5 %  (when the minor axe
is zero) to 0 % (when the minor axe = the major axe).
Only for values of minor axe and major axe with a ratio < 53/47 (an analemmatic
sundial near the pole) your formula is more accurate then the formula of
Ramanujan.

Regards.

Willy Leenders
Kloosterlaan 60