Cary Chleborad wrote:

> Politicians are idiots!  How absurd for them to think that because the
> numbers on the clock read differently, at the same (well approx.) solar
> angle, that the laws of physics will change for them and somehow the
> people will magically use less power!!!!

I can't understand why this summer time is handled in so
emotional
a manner.

In Brazil it is always the same. Every year, when time is
changed,
people complain a LOT. This year several states went to the
courts.
What used to be confusing enough became more so
as different judges made their decisions and appeals changed
their decisions, etc.

As to myself I   L O V E  daylight saving. Not only because it
works
(about 5% saving in Brazil, on the average) but mainly because
it gives me a better quality of life. I am supposed to live my
office
at 6 PM but I usually do it much latter. On the summer I try to
leave at 6 or so because I know I can go home and have about two
hours more of day light. Instead of turning the TV on, turning
several lights on I go walking or gardening or whatever.

That explains why savings occurs. Of course, it does not work
the same for everybody. The Brazilian Northern and Northeastern
regions do not benefit at all (but would not lose either).

In the Southern region (say, from latitude 20S to 34S) saving is
much higher, up to 15% in the extreme South.

But for me, what is more important is the fact that
daylight saving is NATURAL. Since our ancestors as well as
our primitive cousins around the world are governed by
sunlight, it is quite clear to me that if left alone we would
naturally follow a daylight saving scheme, because we would
tend to awake up with the sunrise and sleep with sunset.

I see no reason to treat this so emotionally. I can't understand
why people have to complain so much because they have to
shift their agenda one hour back or forth as DST enters and
exits.

Of course, this should not prevent politician to do what
they SHOULD DO (but rarely do).

- fernando  -- From a country where it seems 70% of the
inhabitants seem to react quite unreasonable against DST!

> While they're on a roll they
> should work at rounding PI down to make is simpler for the school
> children to understand.
>
> -Cary
>
> P.S.  I'm a crazy Californian.
>
> Ron Anthony wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > The other day I heard on the radio that some politcians has proposed a 2
> > hour Daylight Savings Time offset to save energy.
> >
> > ++ron

Fernando Cabral                         Padrao iX Sistemas
Abertos
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.pix.com.br
Fone Direto: +55 61 329-0206            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PABX: +55 61 329-0202                   Fax: +55 61 326-3082
15º 45' 04.9" S  (23 L 0196446/8256520) 47º 49' 58.6" W
19º 37' 57.0" S  (23 K 0469898/7829161) 45º 17' 13.6" W