You have hit on one of my pet interest.  I am always thrilled and amazed when I hear someone pronunce a word that I have only read before, especially if they use it in a conversation.  Just guessing,  "Ott-red" or "Ot-tread".

++ron

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 10:50 AM
Subject: Oughtred

Dear anglophone dialists,
An article in the recent BSS Bulletin on the double-horizontal dial by W. Oughtred has revived my interest in it and I also revisited Fred Sawyer's article on this type of "astrolabic" dial in the Compendium 4-1. So far, so good.
As I normally do not read aloud to myself, it had never occurred to me that I did not know how to pronounce Oughtred's name correctly. Whilst I suppose that one simply ignores the "gh", it might yet be pronounced, for examle as in "tough" or any other way - but which?
I presume there are plenty of experts to help me. My thanks to them in beforehand.
G. Faltlhansl
47°55' N 13°35' E