Many, many thanks to everyone who rallied to my distress call about
exporting DXF from Adobe Illustrator, the salient conclusion being that
if I upgrade from version 8.0 to version 9.0 it will do the trick.

To be certain that this was the case for both PC and Mac versions on 9.0
I phoned Adobe Sales in Edinburgh who didn't know the answer to my
question so they put me on the Adobe Tech. Support who refused to tell me
what their product would do without a Customer Ref. No. - of which I have
four stored on disc for the different registered Adobe products I use.

"So you won't give me the simple piece of information which will enable
me to BUY another of your products?"

"That's corrrrrect sirrrr" (Scottish dialect)

Eventually I found the number and was told Mac version 9.0 WILL export
DXF.

I nominate Adobe as the most-cautious/least-helpful software house - with
some of the best products - on the planet.....unless of course you know
of another one ;-)

Problem solved

Thanks again everyone!

Tony Moss