Hi Chris (& others)

What a nice easy to use formula! I was wondering why you used a rectangular
mirror instead of a circular or square one?

I've noticed that the eliptical sun spot, of course, has its major long axis
oriented in a north south direction on the ceiling at apparent noon. Do you
think that it would be possible to make the spot more circular by using a
rectangular mirror who's long side is oriented in an east west direction?
Shouldn't this compensate for some of the north/south stretch?

(I must go purchase a larger mirror and experiment with masking tape to test
this!  I will also test your idea of two close mirrors.  Also, I'm thinking
the fuzzy region on the circumference might be sharpened a little if there
was a thin frame around the mirror because the glass edge of the mirror
might be throwing light rays off in several durections.)

What do you think

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.
Sundial Sculptures