Greetings fellow dialists,

On Thursday last a letter from one, David Weston of Stranraer, appeared
in the (London) "Guardian" advocating the building of a church on the
site of the destroyed World Trade Centre in New York. I felt that this
would be inappropriate and my letter in reply was published in the
"Guardian" today, Saturday.  It reads:

The proposal by David Weston that a church should be built on the site
of the World Trade Centre in New York would be deeply offensive to the
very many people of other religions and of none who lost relatives and
friends there.  At Ahikista in Ireland, following the Air India tragedy
of 1985 when over three hundred people, mostly Indians and Canadians,
lost their lives a large and magnificent sundial showing on the dial
plate the exact moment of the crash was erected in a memorial garden.
Would not such a non-religious symbol be a more fitting icon than a
church?

Frank 55N 1W

(The dial was, of course, designed by our member, Capt. Owen Deignan.)
Frank Evans