Subject: Gnomon & nodus distortion

As several of you have mentioned, digital or optical photo perspective
rectification works great on the sundial's face, but worsens the look of a
gnomon or nodus.

There are two ways to minimize gnomon and nodus distortion.

When taking your picture, stand due south of the dial's center so that your
camara lens is in the N/S meridian plane. This way, you see the gnomon edge
on. The object being to make it as small and unobtrusive as possible. (Or
build your sundials with a thin monofilar cable gnomons!)

Or, you can use one of the photo digital editing programs to remove the
gnomon or nodus. After you erase the gnomon, you can digitally paint the
face where the gnomon was attached (the substyle). Use the color match
feature when painting.

If I were to go this extra step on my Flandrau dial, I wouldn't erase the
cable gnomon since it is so thin that distortion is unnoticible.  But I
would erase the nodus. Then I would copy and paste a little photo of a round
nodus onto the cable gnomon at its proper position over the substyle, south
of where it is now.

And voila! A perfect photo of the dial face!

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.
Sundial Sculptures
925 E. Foothills Dr.