> Hello fellow sundial lovers--
 >
 > The September issue of the Bulletin of the British Sundial Society
 > contains (pages 127-9) an article by Herbert Wright detailing how he
 > designed and constructed, while interred in a Japanese prison camp in
 > Lunghua, China, a marble sundial which uses unfolded analemmas to
 > display clock time.  Mr. Wright overcame enormous obstacles in
 > creating his dial, and it took him more than a year.  The dial is
 > dated 1944, as far as I can tell.  I have a scanned image of the dial
 > available upon request.  It's an 80k JPG file.
 >
 > Prior to seeing this article the earliest use of unfolded analemmas
 > for EoT correction I had run across was a dial visited in Montreal
 > during the 2001 NASS conference.  A monumental equatorial sundial
 > (1967) at the Planétarium de Montréal by Herman van der Heide, of The
 > Netherlands, utilizes unfolded analemmas along its equatorial band.
 > A nice touch on this dial is the use of different colors to aid the
 > eye in following the date arcs.  I have a 44k JPG file of this dial
 > available upon request.
 >
 > My questions to Sundial List members:  Do any of you know of an
 > earlier (than 1944) dial using unfolded analemmas to supply the EoT
 > correction, or of early published material concerning this?  Is it
 > known who was responsible for discovering the principle?
 >
 > Best wishes,
 >
 > Mac Oglesby
 > Brattleboro, Vermont USA

This design is, surely, exactly what we were here debating around
February last year (see BSS Bull 2000.1 p 51, Mac's email of 28 Feb
2000). At that time, it was proposed to call it a Singleton dial. It now
seems more appropriate to call it a Wright dial, if indeed Herbert Wright
invented it.

Chris Lusby Taylor
Newbury, England
51.4N, 1.3W.

Hi Chris,

I guess at this point I'm more interested in tracing the history of the concept and enjoying seeing various realizations than proposing or voting on labels. But I am hoping that someday I'll learn the name of the person who deserves credit for originating the concept.

Regards,

Mac