Hi Ken,

Thanks for calling to check on the layout of the zodiac on the Elliston Park
analemmatic sundial. I understand your concern when you put the precast date
blocks in place and checked the time, the dial fast by almost one hour and
20 minutes. I am glad you called before pouring the concrete and casting
things in stone.

This discrepancy between sun and clock time is as expected. The layout is
correct. This is a bad time of the year for setting sundials as we just
changed from daylight sayings to standard time and the equation of time
correction if greatest at this time of year, 16 minutes 28 seconds sun fast.
The total correction today should be 1:16:28, sundial fast.

Your reading confirmed that the axes, N/S and E/W, are correctly oriented to
the sun, the zodiac table is correctly aligned for the date and hour posts
are in the right place, offset by 36 minutes to account for longitude. The
dial was designed for summer use and the brass numbers in the hour posts
indicate daylight savings time. Most use of the dial will be between April
to October so the daylight sayings markings are appropriate.

The equation of time is the difference between average clock time and
variable solar time. These variations are due to the tilt of the earths axis
and the elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun. No correction is
required in mid March, mid June end of August and late December. The
corrections are moderate in the spring and summer when most people will see
the dial, 4 minutes fast in May, 6 minutes slow in July. The worst case
happens to be today with a maximum correction of 16:28 fast. In February the
dial is as much as 14 minutes slow. I did not design this correction into
the dial. It is difficult to do and adds an unwarranted level of complexity.

I hope the concrete pour and finishing went well so the dial can be
completed before the weather really closes in on us.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115