Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: Book by Cousins

Unequal hour:
As Fer wrote.

Canonical hour:
I would like to improve the definition of Fer. Fer described quikly the shape of an usual so called mass-dial, but not all the mass-dial are always showing canonical hours, I mean canonical hours are only seven moments of the ancient lenght of the day (from sunrise to sunset), they were prime, terce, sext, nones, vespers and compline. Only these moments are canonical hours, but we use to consider them grouped by three hours a time. Because this kind of sundial were used by the Church we use to call them canonical sundials
Planetary hour:
As Fer wrote. Alessandro Gunella wrote time ago an article on this subject, I have it in electronic format (italian language) if you like.

Mario
Mario Arnaldi
V.le Leonardo, 82
I-48020 LIDO ADRIANO - Ravenna