Dear Membership,

Sundial interval timers seem to be an area that is not well
documented in the documents I have access to.

One type of interval timer is a basic triangular wedge of some
thickness.  When the light is just extinguished on one edge til it
just lights up the other ( when in the equatorial plane ) indicates
the solar time equal to the angle included.  30 degrees, a 6th of a
circle would time two hours,  Half that slice or 15 degrees would
time an hour.  Could it be that pie was invented and in some places
eaten last so that, in the sun, it could time out the lunch hour??

An equilateral triangle times out 4 hours.  Two of them with a
triangular gap between them time out a work day with time off for
lunch.

Could so many of the triangular markings we see on old sites be
interval timers of some kind?

What seems to be neat to me is that it doesn't matter whether the
sharp end or the blunt end of the triangle faces the sun.  When the
blunt end faces the sun, a finger held up on the circumference would,
when it casts its shadow on the tip of the pie, give an indication of
how much lunch hour is left.

Long, long ago, I won a bet with my dad by placing a small mirror
tile a long way from our house and getting the reflection to sweep
from one end of our house to the other in exactly one minute.  Later
I placed a dowel in a Christmas tree base and with a blob of modeling
clay at the top repeated this for several intervals of time.

The moon, when it is half full, subtends about a quarter of a degree
which movement is about 1 minute.  ( unfortunately the width is not
in line with it's movement )  A piece of tape, the edge of a building
and a fixed viewing point could time a 3 minute egg at midnight??

Write me if you have any documentation regarding this.  Especially
ancient records of interval timers.

Thanks much!

Edley McKnight

[43.126N 123.357W]